Search This Blog

Pages

Saturday, June 26, 2010

My Youngest is Driving...

We have entered a new era yet again. My youngest son turned 16 this past week and received his Permit. Yikes!!! I am getting OLD! All week long he has been talking about driving our Dodge Ram Van (LARGE) down the shore on Friday night. As each day passed I thought there was no way he was actually going to go through with this because it was so big and bulky and my oldest son when he drove absolutely rejected any idea of driving such a vehicle. Friday came and he still had the sparkle in his eye. Now keep in mind...this is the first time my husband and I are driving with him and the drive takes about an hour and 15 minutes. Dusk was approaching as we were leaving later than the usual and I thought he was going to say no, but his determination took over and behind the steering he placed himself.

I said a little prayer "Oh God..we are on vacation next week, please do not let us 'miss' this vacation and by the way God, I do not want to spend a week in the hospital. Love, Me."

Much to our amazement and surprise he did really really well and we were quite comfortable with his driving. He adjusted rather quickly to the bulkiness of the van and drove like a pro. Now and again hubby gave him a few pointers but overall I was very relaxed and at one point I even shut my eyes for a mere second (because I was tired...not out of fright).

As with any new chapter in a kid's/parent's life their comes more worry and more independence. This next year he will still "need" us to ride with him but when he turns 17 and gets his license and can "let loose"....look out because I think he will be out and about and leaving Mom and Dad behind.

All of this teenage driving made me think....wasn't life much easier in the "frontier" days when all they had to do was show their kid how to get up on a horse?

1 comment:

  1. This is a very tough time for a parent. When my youngest was old enough to drive, I was sure that she would be safer than she had been as the passenger of her older classmates.

    It sounds as if your son did wonderfully! So happy for you.

    ReplyDelete