Search This Blog

Pages

Sunday, August 29, 2010

College Return

My son returned to college today.  What a big switch from last year.......

Last year I was crying every time someone even talked about him going away to school and every time I would even think about it or try to talk about it myself I was welling up with tears.  I was OK today.  My youngest said as we were saying goodbye..."your not going to cry are you?"  And I didn't ....I was actually OK with it.  Comfortable and used to it as a matter of fact.

It made me wonder.  What is making it OK for me now?  I guess the initial shock is over.  This past summer has been rough....getting him used to be home again, him getting into a little trouble here and there and generally when you have too many adults in the house.....there are lots of differing opinions.  So, collectively....this is making it OK.

Don't get me wrong.  I still felt the lump in my throat when he was leaving and I will miss his presence terribly at the dinner table and I wish we got to spend more time together as a family this summer.  But I do feel comfortable this year in sending him to college and wishing him well.

The family is changing and with that change comes highs and lows.  You have to love the highs for every moment you have them and just take the lows in stride.  Find the good in the change as it can be a growing and renewing experience for everyone.

2 comments:

  1. "You have to love the highs for every moment you have them and just take the lows in stride." Oh, goodness, that is so true...! Children grow up, unfortunately. Enjoy them while we have them. :-)

    Cheers,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of when I had returned from college during the summer. My dad kept dropping hints about me getting an apartment. I was like, "Dad, I'm going back to school in 4 months." He was like, "Yeah, I know. In four months!"
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete